5 Free Plugins For Better Mixes And Workflow
Music production and designing is a field where you don’t require a lot of premium tools to get premium results with projects. With modern technology and digitization kicking in, many of the DAW tools and mixing plugins are available at a very low cost or free of cost. This is very helpful for budding music producers and enthusiasts to get in and try out something new.
In this blog, we bring you some of the best mixing plugins that come for free and are the best bet to benefit the workflow.
1. Brainworx bx_solo
bx_solo created by Brainworx introduced the M/S technique for recording, mixing, or mastering to music producers. The main feature of bx_solo is its unique Solo Buttons, which allows you to separately listen to all components of a stereo mix.
The comprehensive features of bx_solo include R (Right channel), L (Left channel), M (Mono sum, mid signal), and S (Stereo-Difference, side signal). By many music experts, bx_solo is also a powerful tool for testing the tracks or mixes for errors, noises, clicks and other problems. Since it is available for free, this mixing plugin is widely popular with beginners.
- Fully automated
- Stereo Width Control
- Direct access: By just typing a valid number into the text fields for direct access to the exact value.
2. HOFA 4U ProjectTime
Professional music producers believe in measuring time when working on client projects. This helps keep a track of work allotted and time management when working on multiple projects. Eventually, over time, it provides data on how you have improved on your skills and managing time.
HOFA 4U ProjectTime is a time measurement tool for producers and it starts the time measurement as soon as it is attached to a plugin slot in your DAW (Pro Tools, Cubase, Studio One, Reaper, etc). The time is auto saved when you close the project and resumes again upon reopening.
- Accurate time management in hours, minutes, and seconds
- Works with Windows & Mac OS
- Wide range of compatibility with many DAWs – Ableton Live, Avid Pro Tools, Presonus Studio One, Steinberg Cubase/Nuendo/Wavelab, MOTU Digital Performer, Apple Logic, Magix Samplitude/Sequoia, Cakewalk Sonar, Cockos Reaper, FL Studio
3. MConvolutionEZ by MeldaProduction
MConvolutionEZ is an easy-to-use highly optimized convolution reverb plugin by MeldaProduction. The reverb mixing plugin comes with lots of impulse responses for rooms, halls, plates, guitar cabinets, and much more.
- M/S, single channel
- Advanced and simple UI – resizable, GPU accelerated
- MIDI controllers with MIDI learn
- Supports VST, VST3, AU, and AAX interfaces
- Supports Windows & Mac, both 32-bit and 64-bit.
- Extremely fast in working, optimized for newest AVX2 and AVX512 capable processors
- Global preset management and online preset exchange.
- Free for life
4. Voxengo Span
SPAN by Voxengo is a free real-time audio spectrum analyzer AAX, AudioUnit, and VST plugin for application at professional sound and music production projects. SPAN offers a ‘mode’ system that provides flexibility to its users to set spectrum analyzer preferences. A secondary display spectrum of either real-time or all-time maximum can be selected. You can choose the color of your choice for both the spectrum screens.
- True peak and clipping statistics
- Correlation meter
- EBU R128 LUFS/LU metering
- K-system metering
- Stereo and multichannel analysis
- Mid/side analysis
- All sample rates support
- User interface color schemes
Compatible software: Ableton Live, Cubase, Logic Pro, ProTools, Reaper, OBS, FL Studio, Cakewalk, Nuendo, WaveLab, GarageBand, Vegas, Presonus Studio One, SoundForge, Audition, Samplitude, and much more.
5. Youlean Loudness Meter 2
Loudness Meter 2 is one of the most reliable loudness plugins. The Loudness Meter 2 plugin works on almost any DAW such as FL Studio, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live, Final Cut Pro X, Reaper, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc. It doesn’t have any effect on your output sound and is fairly low in CPU use as well.
It is also available as an application, formats of VST2, VST3, AU and AAX plugin, and compatible with operating systems like Windows and Mac.
- Scalable GUI
- Custom true peak alert threshold
- Loudness distribution graph
- Mono, Stereo, and 5.1 channel
- True peak and loudness graph
- Automatic loudness overdub
- Low CPU consumption
The top 5 free mixing plugins for music production discussed above are widely popular. Apart from this, many plugins can make your tracks better. For using any of these mixing plugins at their full capacity, it is necessary to have core knowledge about music production. For more details on music production and sound engineering courses, contact us.